To fix your teeth from cavities, chips or cracks or even to reshape them in order to improve their size, shape or colour, we can restore them with a number of materials suitable for our mouths.
We use tooth-coloured materials such as Composite Resin and Glass Ionomer Cements as well as metallic restorative materials such as Amalgam.
The usual process is this:
- We prepare your tooth by roughening your tooth and removing any decay or weakened tooth structure with our special drills
- We create micro scratches in your tooth to allow for better bonding between your tooth and the restorative material. We do this chemically by applying a 37% orthophosphoric acid we refer to simply as “etch”
- Once washed and dried, we may apply some medication onto the base of the cavity to help protect your tooth and lessen post-op sensitivity.
- We apply a “bond” which allows the filling material to better stick to the tooth. We set this clear liquid with our special blue LED light.
- We place the appropriate filling material, shaping it to match the tooth. It usually is a shapeable paste or liquid that we set with our special blue LED light to harden it.
- Finally we make sure the filling fits your “bite” by getting you to bite on a thin blue piece of paper that shows us any “high” spots.
Please feel free to discuss with Dr. Jennifer Do if you have any questions about this process!